Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day One

I've always enjoyed beginnings, and here we are on the cusp of Spring, with the first post about a new Project.  I call it a 'project' because I want to find out what will happen if I follow my bliss, as Joseph Campbell put it, and because I function much better in life when I'm working on a defined project. Also known as "juice", energy or whatever word you use to describe the life force that mysteriously shows up when you are doing what you love, letting that lead my life is something I want to observe for a set period of time - for the remainder of 2011. An experiment, approached with curiosity, to simply see what happens.

Why now?  By Grace, the energy in my life is finally shifting.  An 18 year relationship and marriage ended exactly 6 years ago. 3 years later I lost my job and became sick with multiple disabling illnesses, including Lyme Disease (which I unknowingly had for over 2 years at that point).  Without going into the long litany of "growth opportunities", suffice it to say I'm finally to the point where I can contemplate starting over. 

Why a blog?  I absolutely love to write, so a blog was a logical choice for one who is following their bliss. I'm relatively new to blogging (wrote a short one about an angel of a Westie called Loving Ashley) so bear with me as I explore the medium.

I'd also really enjoy hearing from anyone who decides to conduct their own similar experiment, or is already well on their way.  I live in rural Virginia and would love the company! 

To close, here is a quote of Joseph Campbell from an interview with Bill Moyers in The Power of Myth.  It sums up the promise and potential of this experiment.

...if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.

Just reading that gives me a sense of hope, peace, trust in the future and most importantly, trust in myself, who I am and my path in life.  Oh my.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful writing, Dara, I'm in tears. Thanks for the inspiration and just for being YOU.

    ReplyDelete